Monday, July 16, 2012

A rainy day in the Netherlands

Today we said goodbye to Liège and headed off to Maastricht (only Anna, Sam and I). We had to take the bus to train station and then the train to Maastricht. However, Anna cannot estimate time and we got onto our train with about five minutes to spare after running through the train station. It only took a half hour to get into the Netherlands though once we were on our way. Maastricht is such a beautiful city! It was funny, we were only in the city for five minutes when we smelled weed and all looked up at the same time like "oh. Yup were in the netherlands." We had no idea where we were going, but thanks to Piets directions (down the street and on the corner), we found Le Guide! Le Guide is an adorable cafe with the best coffee I've ever had. After that we walked around Maastricht a bunch. Everything was so beautiful and European! I don't know how else to describe it, a picture can't even capture it. Luckily, Maastricht is the most popular place to shop in Europe so whenever it starts raining (cause it rains every ten minutes), we would just duck into a store. We also visited a few basiliques, which look kind of like churches and are super pretty. For lunch, we couldn't decide on where to go (Sam wanted to go to KFC but I refused) so we went to this Vietnamese place and I'm not really sure what we ate. Afterwards, it was raining again so we stopped in a pub and all had a kriek (cherry beer).
It sounds like a boring day as I'm writing it down, but it was super fun. I got to know Sam much better and now it's easier to understand him. It's getting a ton easier to understand everyone actually, I barely have any trouble anymore.
Also it was funny because people didn't know what language to speak with us. They'd start speaking dutch and then hear Sam and speak French and then trying English if I said something to Anna. So when we walked in somewhere people said "hallo! Bonjour! Hello!" and we'd all reply in either French or English. It was weird having people in Maastricht understand me better than Anna or Sam. More people speak English than French there so I had to communicate a lot.
Anyway, after we got home we took a bus into the city and went to a restaurant called vin au vin to meet some of Anna's friends. I was so awkward though and they probably all think I'm super weird! It's okay we'll meet them again.
Now I'm at Anna's dads house in nandrin, which is soooooo cute and soooo European! I'm so excited to take Pictures! I just want everyone to come here with me and experience what I'm doing. I miss my friends.
But I'm having an awesome time! The culture is so different and I love it.
Okay let me explain the pictures. The big white modern looking thing is the train station in Liège. The rest are pretty much pictures of Maastricht. The one with the stained glass windows is the train station. There is a picture of Sam and I in Sint Janskerk, a church and Sam and Anna walking around in front of the church. Everything is so pretty and I wish I coul take better pictures on my phone.

1 comment:

  1. Taylor! Have you seen the footbridges that have tracks for bikes? I'm so glad yo are posting here. Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete