Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Germany 17.07.2012


Really quick before Germany. So yesterday we got to her fathers house, which is in the cute little European town of Nandrin. The houses are so cute and the inside is amazing! The most exciting part for me was the shower. If you saw my earlier blog post, the shower at her moms house was more like a bath with a shower hose. Now I have a real shower to use! And it's like a room, probably twice the size of a normal shower if not more, it's super cool. And he had a dog! I miss my dogs so much and it was nice to get to play with a dog again. His name is Rex.
Okay now I can talk about Germany. We drove there with the whole family and it took about 1.5 hours to get to Cologne (or köln). There, we found the train station and met up with Becci!!! It was so weird to speak English all day and to be with my two foreign loves. There is an awesome cathedral in cologne. It is huge and beautiful! It actually looks fake, like a big mural when you're far away. It might be the biggest church I've ever seen. We went inside and everything was so beautiful. It wasn't just one big room, there were twisty hallways everywhere and stained glass windows. Then, we walked around and shopped some more (bought some souvenirs) and two scarves for myself (2euros each!). It was so strange to not be able to understand the language at all. German is nothing like French or English and they don't know those languages like in the Netherlands. We had to have becci talk for us but becci is so shy she never wanted to. We ate at an Italian place because all of the German places only served sausage and weird meat like that. I had tortellini which was overpriced and not that good, but it's okay. Then I had some gelato for dessert which was outstanding of course! We also had a German pretzel, but honestly I like auntie annes better. Then we walked down by the river to the schokenladen museum (I think that's how you spell it) which was a chocolate museum. However it cost 8.50 to go in and it wasnt that big so we just bought some chocolate and went on top of it, which was free. That was pretty cool cause we got to look out over the river at the whole city. After that we went to this cool bridge (they have something similar in Paris). People put padlocks with their initials on it along the fence of the bridge and throw the keys in the water, which is super romantic and kinda symbolizes them being together forever. The bridge was completely covered with padlocks and it was so cute.
When we had to take becci back to the station, we had to buy tram tickets for ourselves. This was stupid and complicated and took us like an hour to figure out. It was the type of thing where you had to know exactly what you're doing to do it quickly. Then we parted ways and Anna and I took the metro back to a park outside of köln to meet her father. Oh also, her father lived in köln for 27 years and apparently is fluent in dutch, German, French, and kind of English. I think that's amazing and I would like to be like that.
I think that's all for today. All in all I really liked Germany but I think that Belgium is still my favorite so far. Everything was really expensive in Germany and I couldnt understand anything, which bugged me. It was my fourth country in four days if you count the airport in Paris. I'm exhausted now, but it's only 8 where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment