Saturday, July 14, 2012

First night in Europe

Surprisingly, I wasn't tired at all until around 11 pm this time. First let me just say that Anna's house is nothing like I pictured jt. It reminds me of a house in San francisco if you can picture that. Her house is kind of hippyish and small, but it's so cute cause her family doesn't mind it cause they're so close. The weirdest thing was when I first met her mom and little siblings I hugged them, and no one does that. So when I met her older brother, Sam, they told me to kiss him and I was super weird and awkward about it. By the end of the night, I got used to it. Later we ate a very interesting dinner. Her mom said we would be having a barbecue, and by that I guess they meant a variety of sausage and potato. Chibolats, boulet, et pomme de terre. Plus salad, which was really good. All of the water was served in these fancy bottles, opposed to just drinking it from the tap. The funniest thing is when everyone was saying all of the English words they knew, which mainly consisted of swear words. So at one point we were just eating a nice family dinner while her little siblings were singing someone like you mixed with loca people (LOL for those who know that song). The whole city and suburb area is so different than any American city. Like there aren't any separate houses at all, so everything looks really packed tight. The actual city of Liège is twenty minutes away and is exactly how one would imagine a European city. There are cobblestone roads and everything is so cute. Theres a cathedral in the middle of the city surrounded by gardens and fountains. Last night, there was a big festival type thing for adults to get together and listen to music and drink. Anna, Sam and I went shopping and I wanted to buy everything. Then we ran into her cousin, Max, and went to this bar called Far West. Anna thought I'd love it cause it was American themed, but really it was just weird cause it was like I was having a drink in an American bar. We ended up just walking around the city with Max for a bit and taking the bus home later. It was a good night, but I'm still pretty tired. Here are some pictures.

2 comments:

  1. So, you're supposed to kiss but not hug when you first meet people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it's so weird. When I met a friend who had studied in america though, she tried to hug me and I tried to kiss her and it ended up being super awkward.

    ReplyDelete