Sunday, July 22, 2012

En Bruges

If I could choose anywhere in Europe to live, vacation, or go with my friends, I think I would choose Bruges.
This morning, we left with the whole family (minus Sam) to take the train to Bruges. It was Noah's first train ride and he was so excited. Noah and léa were fighting a lot though like siblings do and it was kind of annoying. The two hour train ride seemed really really long. Once we got there though, things got better. It was kind of a far walk to the town, but it was totally worth it. The first thing that we did was eat. We stopped by a small sandwich place and all got baguette deli sandwiches. After that, we went on a boat tour of Bruges. I can't even describe how beautiful and awesome this city is. All of the buildings and house and really old, but they all have beautiful gardens and intricate details. You can always see a cathedral from where you are on the river. It was just perfect. It was a bright sunny day and relatively warm (high 60s maybe). I wish that everyone could see what I see. My mom and jessi were especially on my mind- I feel like they would absolutely love it. And Francesca and Hannah because they would take a ton of pictures. It was so pretty, I wish I could capture it in a photo.
After the tour, we walked around and stopped for some soda on a terrace overlooking the river. We ended up walking through an art fair. Everything was too expensive, but I enjoyed looking. I bought a waffle and Anna bought some violet candy that we watched them make. Later, Anna and I stopped by a store called galler, which is apparently really good chocolate. We got these praline chocolate filled waffles that were essentially heaven on earth. It might be one of the best desserts I've ever had.
Then we had to run to the train station and caught our train with two minutes to spare.
All in all, bruges was the prettiest city I have ever been to in Europe. I want everyone to go there and see what I am talking about.
It was only a little difficult to communicate because they all speak Dutch in Bruges since its in the north of Belgium. They were actually more likely to speak English than French, which was kind of funny.
The other thing I noticed was all of the bikes. In cities like bruges and Maastricht, more people own bikes than cars. I saw some people road biking through town and I can't imagine how rough that would be. The roads are opposite of smooth, they are all cobblestone and bumpy. It's hard to walk, so I can't imagine road biking!
Anyway, hopefully you can see the beauty of the city in the pictures I post.
Paris tomorrow! Amy better not go to the wrong station.

No comments:

Post a Comment